Food and Nutrition Information Center
Listed below are quick links to FNIC's most popular topics and topics of interest. These links rotate frequently so please check back often.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Dietary Reference Intakes
- Sign up for the FNIC Nutrition Talk Email List
- USDA Food Composition Databases
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Food and Nutrition Research Briefs
- Interactive DRI for Healthcare Professionals
- How to Understand and Use the Nutrition Facts Label
- Evaluating Health Information
- Oct. 7, 2017: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is seeking public comments on the proposed reorganization that will merge the Center for Nutrition and Policy Promotion (CNPP) with the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), removing the political position from CNPP and replacing it with a career level administrator position. This move is intended to strengthen customer service and improve efficiencies at USDA. Comments are due by October 7, 2017.
- Oct. 11, 2017: The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) invites the public to submit written comments and/or provide oral comments at its Fall 2017 business meeting in Jacksonville, FL. The comment period will close October 11, 2017. Please submit feedback on the NOSB Subcommittees’ proposals via Regulations.gov.
- Oct. 11, 2017: The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is seeking additional public comments on the paperwork and regulatory burdens associated with management of its Child Nutrition (CN) Labeling Program, a voluntary technical assistance program, that is designed to aid schools and institutions participating in the National School Lunch Program, the School Breakfast Program, the Child and Adult Care Food Program, and the Summer Food Service Program. Comments are due by October 11, 2017
- Oct 17-20, 2017: Registration is open for the Final Meeting of the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee meeting https://events.kauffmaninc.com/events/pagac5/register/?t=15
The Food and Nutrition Information Center (FNIC) is a leader in online global nutrition information. Located at the National Agricultural Library (NAL) of the United States Department of Agriculture, the FNIC website contains over 2500 links to current and reliable nutrition information.
The Food and Agriculture Act of 1977 (Farm Bill) established the Food and Nutrition Information and Education Resources Center (later known as the Food and Nutrition Information Center, or FNIC) as a permanent entity within NAL. (see p.26 of PDF).
FNIC strives to serve the professional community (including educators, health professionals and researchers) by providing access to a wide range of trustworthy food and nutrition resources from both government and non-government sources. The FNIC website provides information about food and human nutrition. The materials found on this website are not intended to be used for the diagnosis or treatment of a health problem or as a substitute for consulting a licensed health professional.
The use of trade, firm, or corporation names in this website (or in website pages) is for the information and convenience of the reader. Such use does not constitute an official endorsement or approval by USDA or the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of any product or service to the exclusion of others that may be suitable. Likewise, some databases available on the FNIC website include resources from "non-government entities." Inclusion of these materials in a database does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by FNIC or the U.S. Government.
Online: If you have a question related to food and nutrition please use the Ask a Question form.
In person: FNIC Specialists can assist you Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST at the National Agricultural Library (NAL) in Beltsville, Maryland.
By phone: Call (301) 504-5414 to talk to an Information Specialist
Food and Nutrition Information Center
USDA ARS National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Avenue,
Beltsville, MD 20705-2351